Brendan Benson's "My Old, Familiar Friend"

Posted by Rob | Posted in , , , , , | Posted on 8:17 PM


One of the most memorable album reviews I have ever read came from Alternative Press in the mid-nineties. The band was The Chainsaw Kittens and the album was self-titled. The review caught my attention for two reasons: firstly, the album was given 5 stars (the highest rating an album could receive) and secondly, the reviewer was so clearly frustrated that this band was not getting the recognition that they deserved (in his esteemed opinion, of course). The opening of the review read something like this (I'm paraphrasing) "For the past 8 years, The Chainsaw Kittens have released album after album of pure pop gold. And have you been listening? Have you given them the time of day? No, of course, you haven't." And you know what? I was sold. I bought that album the next day. And 2 weeks later, I bought the rest of The Chainsaw Kittens catalog. Because the guy was right: they were golden.

After listening to Brendan Benson's latest album, "My Old, Familiar Friend" I am reminded of that old album review. "Familiar Friend" is Benson's fourth solo album and I simply can't wrap my head around the fact that more people don't listen to this guy. So now I have to say it: for the past several years, Brendan Benson has released album after album of pure pop gold. And have you been listening? Have you given him the time of day? No, of course you haven't.

You may not know Benson's name but you have probably heard his work. His most well-known music comes from his "side project" the Raconteurs, a band he formed with Jack White. But his solo projects are his primary focus and it is for them that he would prefer to be known. And he definitely should be.

Benson's music could be classified as retro pop rock. His songs are loaded with hooks and the production is highly sophisticated. Traditional rock guitar combines with strings, keys, and layered vocals to call to mind the classic pop rock of the 60s and 70s. Benson sings in a clear voice that may not dazzle you with range but it serves the song, not the other way around. The opening track "A Whole Lot Better" is a perky number featuring the lyrics "I fell in love with you, then out of love with you, then back in love with you, all in the same day." Track 3 entitled "Garbage Day" is backed with a great string melody while Benson sings "But if she throws her heart away, I'll be there on garbage day. To sift through what's left I guess, To sort through the loneliness."

If you spent a great deal of time last year trying to "appreciate" the latest "masterpiece" from indie rock's band of moment, do yourself a favor and give this album a spin. Because you haven't been listening to Brendan Benson. And you should be.

Comments Posted (0)

Post a Comment